Monday, August 25, 2008

How Time Flies

I can't believe a week has flown by since my last post. Bill was on vacation all week - so we stayed pretty busy. We spent a lot of time out at the lake where Bill's Dad lives...with Katie learning to swim and jump off the diving board we had a great time.

We went here on Wednesday. It was loads of fun as it always is. We try to go once in the summer and then back on a Saturday in the Fall for Halloweekends. We left Katie with my mom this time..and that seemed to work out better for everyone, Katie included.

School finally starts a week from tomorrow. I think that 13 weeks is far too long of a break...especially for kids like Katie. They lose so much in that time. I'm actually already in my "advocate"mode. There is a new teacher in her classroom this year. If you follow my blog or know me personally, you know that we had far too many problems last year with Katie's school situation. I'm hopeful that this year will be much better. We were promised that the kids would have the opportunity to either have a home-visit by the teacher prior to the start of school, or at least would have the chance to meet the teacher at school prior to the first day -- but it's not looking promising. Katie still cries everytime we drive down the road towards her school - so I'm trying to remain positive - but next week could be a little trying - so keep us in your prayers.

Well, I'm off to soccer practice for Mary and then work.... more later.

3 comments:

Alice said...

I totally agree. Our break will be one day shy of 14 weeks. Way too long. I'll be praying for you guys next week--esp. Katie! I hope her new teacher is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

That is why I love our 7 week summer...and it gives us some short two week breaks in the Fall, Christmas and Spring which is nice. I will be praying for you as school starts for Katie. She is going into Kindergarten right? School can be so stressful for our kids. Take care!

Jill said...

Jen - she would actually be age appropriate for 1st grade, but because she doesn't turn 6 until October she still qualifies for a special program we have in MI called Early Childhood Developmental Delay (or ECDD). She is going to be in a special all day ECDD class only for kids with autism aged 3-6 - so that is a great opportunity for her. She will go to Kdg. (in the same building) a few hours each day. Our hope is that next fall she will do Kdg half day and a special ed classroom the other half.
We get to meet the new teacher tomorrow. I'm praying that I can keep an open mind after the disasters of last year and be hopeful for a great outcome this year. I'll let you know how it goes.