Saturday, September 29, 2007

I feel compelled to write a little about vaccinations and how I personally feel about vaccinating children. The reason being that several of you have contacted me regarding my recent posts - stating that you have chosen not to vaccinate your children. In my personal opinion - and please remember, this is my opinion, I am not a doctor :) -- you need to continue to vaccinate your children, you just need to be smart about it. This means not allowing your 3 month old baby to have 4 or 5 shots at one time. This means spreading out your child's shots. Talk to your pediatrician. Even though they will never agree that vaccines can cause autism or can be harmful neurologically to your child, most will be willing to work with you to spread the vaccines out and make them "safer " for your child. I am definitely still a "pro-vaccine" parent - I just believe that as parents we need to be educated in the decisions we make about vaccinations. There is a great book called "Evidence of Harm" that is all about vaccines and what is in them and why as parents of children with autism, many of us believe that vaccinations have played a role in the autism. It talks a lot about "one size fits all vaccines" that do not take the childs weight and size into consideration -- and if you are considering skipping vaccinations with your children, I would strongly suggest that you read this book.

We still vaccinate our children - and I still remind my friends that there is a greater risk by not vaccinating your child than be vaccinating them or by vaccinating them on a 'smarter' schedule. If I can help you find the information you need - please let me know - I would be happy to. I am the parent of a child with autism, and I would not wish autism on any child, or on any family -- but I still think children need to be vaccinated - we just need to see some changes in the vaccine schedule.

No comments: