Wednesday, October 17, 2007

AUTISM = STRESS

Yep, that's how I feel. Things have not been going well the last few days. It seems like this years has been very transitional as far as Katie goes. We knew it would be a difficult adjustment with new teachers, a new classroom and new classmates - in addition to now going to school all day rather than half a day -- but I never imagined it would be this difficult. I will refrain from elaborating about everything that has been going on, but I will just say that we are seeing a side of Katie that we have never seen before, and it is really difficult. We don't know why she is doing what she does, and I am beginning to realize that even though teachers/aides can teach your children and care for your children, we as parents are truly the only ones that love them - and when it comes to children with special needs, it seems that I wish I could transfer my parental love to them so that they could see what I see and feel what I feel. It's hard for a teacher to understand that my child can't tell me when she's having a bad day, or that she's got a sore throat or a tummy ache. It's always a big guessing game with Katie. I'm pretty good at it, but I'm not perfect (nor do I claim to be). I've cried about it too much today - so I'll move on for now.

On a brighter note, Mary is now reading at above a 3rd grade level (which is great for my big 1st grader). She is loving school and is really excelling in so many ways. It's awesome!!!

No comments: