Monday, June 16, 2008

Do you ever?

Do you ever feel like God is trying to show you something? Well for me lately, this "something" has been that God wants me to spend more consistent time in His Word. This is important for all believers, but being a parent (and a parent of a special needs child at that) I often feel like I need and desire special guidance from God in how to be the best wife and mother that I can be.

A couple of weeks ago my friend Merri wrote this and I began thinking about how I needed to begin reading the Bible daily and that Proverbs might be a good place to start. I always try to be honest on my blog, so honestly, over the past couple of years I have struggled with my daily Bible reading and study. The craziness of life, autism, work, and all of those things that sometimes take over our lives had gotten in the way of my commitment to daily Bible reading. So, I started reading Proverbs.. and as a parent, this has been a great place to start and renew my commitment to Bible reading.

Then, on a blog that I enjoy reading daily, I saw this, this morning, and was "re-convicted" to make a commitment to daily Bible reading. God is really good and bringing reminders to me when I start to struggle with this new commitment. :)

What do you like to read in the Bible?

3 comments:

Alice said...

LOVE the Proverbs idea! That's a good one. I think you hit on something that is a struggle for all of us--and when to find the time for quiet too when your kids wake up at 5:30 a.m.?? I find I do better when I have some accountability, so I am starting a study tomorrow that is being done through Beth Moore's site. It's not one of the studies she's written, but she is leading everyone through it on her blog and you can pair up with someone via email to keep accountable. I'm looking forward to it! Keep us posted on Proverbs!! :-)

Merri said...

You are such an encouragement to me! I, too, have struggled in all of our transitions to keep consistent in my time with the Lord. Being in Proverbs (and sensing my desperate need in raising children) has really helped. Recently, I have considered "moving on" from this study, but then yesterday I found 3 verses in Prov 16 that I never noticed before that spoke specifically to the sins in my life that I am struggling with. Also, Proverbs 16:20 has been encouraging to me each time I read it. "He who gives attention to the word shall find good, and blessed is he who trusts in the Lord." All this from one chapter yesterday. God is so good to me.

Fred said...

He has a funny way of dropping us little reminders, doesn't he?