Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Katie Update

I am so excited to share an update on Katie's speech progress after a great session with her speech therapist, Ruth, this morning. Katie is now imitating almost every sound that you can imagine. That is a huge step. The next thing she needs to do is start repeating a sequence of two sounds (like ooh-ahh == want) and then we can progress to words like "want" that have a blended vowel sound. It is much harder for her to repeat a sound twice, or to repeat two different sounds than it is to just repeat one, so this will be a little bit of a process. Ruth said to give it two weeks. I think she is incredibly optimistic...but she's been right before...so I'll try to rembmer to update you in two weeks :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill. I am so glad that you are seeing breakthroughs in speech with Katie. People always say to me that Will would begin to talk all of the sudden...well it has not been that way for him but it has been a slow and steady rate and we hear more and more words/sentences even each week. Hope you are doing well!

Fred said...

Yay Katie!!

Alice said...

That is wonderful! I almost became a speech pathologist (and still wish I had sometimes!) so I love reading stuff like this. I'll be waiting for the 2-week update!

Bella Sweet Cakes said...

Hi Jill... its good to know about Katies progress... as soon as she starts talking more ,, she wont stop... but that is what we like ,, for them to express their feelings...
Just like Braiden I changed him to a new Speech therapist.. the center that he goes to always changes the therapist ,, he had 3 therapist already ,, the new one is resigning,,, He needs consistency and I found a new lady who was highly recommended and she is good... strict with Braiden and he responds to her really well... I'm happy with that..
To change the topic ///
Here in Oz ,, oil price increase is also a headline,, what a joke!!! haaaaaaaaaa.
well hope everything is doing great to ur family...

see yah