Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Step in a Different Direction



So today we decided to take a new step in Katie's educational plan. For the past year and a half Katie has been spending time in a kindergarten classroom for a period of time each day. Today I had a really candid conversation with Katie's teacher about the fact that Kindergarten is just not relevant for Katie - and as difficult a decision as this is, she needs to stop going. It is only frustrating to her - and we certainly don't want school to be an unpleasant thing for her.

A few examples of the frustration would be last week when they were working on money concepts during circle time. Each child had a bowl of pennies. Money has no meaning to Katie so she chose to play with and throw the pennies - b/c she didn't know what else to do with them. Today they were talking about the inaguration during circle time. Okay, seriously, what does a non-verbal 6 year old child care about the inaguration? So of course, she was bored, frustrated and started being a distraction. Basically - kindergarten isn't working for her. She is making excellent progress in her Autism Impaired classroom - but the mainstreaming attempts just aren't working right now. And the good thing is - I'm okay with it. For the first time in this long journey with autism, I'm okay with where she is - and it's okay that it's not where I wish she could be.

3 comments:

kristi said...

I think you are doing what is best for her and that is what matters most!

Anonymous said...

Jill school is so hard for our kids! And it is so hard for them to not be a part of what seems so normal but you are right the most important thing right now is that she does not hate school. I am glad you are okay with your decision. My biggest struggle is wanting to be sure I have made the "right" decision for Will. I am trying to come to grips with the fact that what may be the "right" thing for him this week may change next month. I need to be willing look at right now instead of what might happen next year. I hope it warms up for you soon in MI! :)

TheXMom said...

This has been a hard subject for me. My oldest son is in an AI classroom and joins the K class for free play, PE , and art. I want him to be mainstreamed but deep down I know that what would be expected of him in K is beyond his reach at this time. Best of luck to you and yours. Glad I found your blog.