Friday, May 01, 2009

Sickos...but no, not the swine flu :)

Yes, I live with sickos. Bill has come down with this icky Spring cold thanks to his friends at work that like to share their germs with each other. He took Nyquil 30 minutes ago and is completely crashed out.

Down the hall I can hear Katie hacking away. Her story of sickness is one that may truly be the end of me...I'm serious. Her ENT appointment is still a full week away. I called our pediatrician today (and thankfully, because he is our friend) and talked to him for about 15 minutes about if we have any other treatment options for her until she sees the ENT. Basically, the answer is NO...unless she starts running a really high fever or something of that nature. I'm pretty sure both of her ears are infected..one moreso than the other as she is tugging it constantly. Her nose is disgusting, as it basically has been for the past 3 months. We get a brief reprieve each time she starts antibiotics (which, yes, she is on as I type this) but after awhile they stop working. She has a lovely "allergy" cough as I call it ...as a result of all the post-nasal drip that she is suffering from. There is truly nothing I can do for her. She is already taking so much medication. (risperdal for the autism, claritin/xyrtec/singular for allergies, omnicef -antibiotic and ibuprofen for pain. It's getting a little ridiculous at this point. I'm definitely pro-medication if it works, but now nothing is working. I am bracing myself for the fact that Katie is most likely going to need surgery. I'm guessing tubes/tonsils and probably some kind of sinus surgery as we are probably looking at some sort of sinus blockage. I can't really worry about it until it happens, but as I said, I'm tring to brace myself.
We also are considering some different options for Katie's schooling next year, even though 2 months ago I would have told you that we were locked in for next year. I'll give more details on that as it develops. Here's praying for a healthy Saturday.

4 comments:

Alice said...

I'm so sorry. That sounds really frustrating. And that horrible sinus thing does linger--we've had it here (plus pink eye! fun!!) I'll be praying for a good solution for Katie...poor little thing--she sounds miserable. :-(

Fred said...

Wow..I hope they are all feeling better soon. You have a lot going on these days, I'm sure it can seem overwhelming.

On the other hand, I don't have the swine flu, but someone at my school has a "probable" case. So, they shut down the school for the week, and I'm now enjoying Spring Break II.

Jill said...

Fred...I just heard on the news that the government is now recommending that schools not close for probable cases - I hope they don't cut your second Spring Break short :) (Does that mean you have to go an extra week at the end of the year?)

Fred said...

They did cut it short. We were informed today that we're going back on Thursday. I completely agree with the decision...I thought it was over the top to call it off for a week.

We don't have to make up any time. The district builds in four extra days (usually for hurricanes) so we're fine.