Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Land of Strep

Sorry for the brief hiatus from posting...

On Thursday I ended up at the doctor's office after crying through Katie's entire speech therapy session. I was so sick that I felt like doing nothing but cry. So, I made a doctor's appointment for that afternoon . I had to bring Katie with me (which is never a good option - she hates Dr.'s offices). As soon as they called my name to come back she sprinted for the door and headed to the parking lot. By the time we finally got back in so that I could have my blood pressure taken, I told the nurse, "this might not be good". I was crying again. Katie then proceeded to fall off of her chair and onto the nurses foot while she tried to take my blood pressure. My BP ended up being fine (surprise), but I looked & felt a mess... When the doctor came in she asked me how I was doing, and yes, I started crying again. She checked me out and told me that I had strep and that my ear drum was very close to bursting. Lovely. No wonder I had been crying all day. We also had a really good conversation about parenting autistic children and how it's not always easy (especially when you feel like dog doo-doo and all you want to do is curl up in a ball and go to sleep!) She actually gave me a big hug, an entire box of Kleenex (the good brand-name stuff) and a couple of prescriptions for some good meds to help me feel better. The bummer is that it is now Saturday night (almost Sunday) and I am just now starting to feel a little bit better. Antibiotics help, but in this case they definitely did not work overnight. I actually felt worse on Friday than I did on Thursday. Thank goodness that I have wonderful parents who live close-by and have been a huge help while Bill has been working. It can be very hard to watch Katie when you are sick...especially as sick as I have been . I don't know what it is about strep, but it always kicks my butt. I used to get it a lot in college - and I would dread it because it seemed to take forever to get over. I am doing a little better tonight. My glands are still very swollen -- and my ear is still hurting, but my throat has improved a lot. I've been trying to get Mary packed for American Girl Doll Camp - she leaves tomorrow afternoon -- and that has taken about all of the energy that I have. Her suitcase is packed and her dolls are ready....so I'll have more about that later I'm sure. But for now, this sick-o is going to bed. Good Night.

4 comments:

Alysa said...

Jill, I am so sorry that you're feeling so lousy. It is so hard to be sick and a mommy, and then the fact that you have an autistic child completely makes it harder. Praying for you tonight!

Jill said...

Thanks Alysa...all prayers are appreciated :)...and I am starting to feel a little better!!!

Alice said...

Ugh, strep is MISERABLE. You truly wonder if you just might die with it. I'm so sorry. Glad you are feeling a little better and hope this week is much easier!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jill...I feel your pain! I hope today is a much better day for you. Going to the doctor is the hardest thing with our special kids. I am glad you have a great compassionate doctor. Let's talk soon! Jennifer