Saturday, August 12, 2006

I'm glad for the weekend... Wow it's been a week. I went scrapbooking tonight, which I love, but amidst the conversation (there were several of my neighbors there) I found out some things about what Mary has been up to in the neighborhood that are a little disturbing to me. I know that she is mischeivious, but after some of the things that were said I find myself a little unsettled. I knew that earlier this week she and her "little" friend got into thier hot tub and were sitting on the edge of it with their hands and feet in it. Mary told me that the friend had asked her to open it because Mary is much bigger than the other girl and she was unable to open it herself. Mary admitted to me that she opened it. Apparently the parents felt it was Mary acting independently and they did not allow her to play with their daughter for a day because the father was very upset. The parents didn't see Mary do anything, they just went off of what their daughter said. The parents told my other neighbor that Mary was standing on top of the hot tub jumping up and down (okay, what would the point of that be) and then she opened it up (which she did) and they felt she is a bad example for their daughter. I think the reality here is that both girls are at fault and it bothers me that the parents haven't said anything to me directly. I know that they think I am a bad mother becuase I don't always hang out outside in the front yard with all of them. I HAVE AN AUTISTIC DAUGHTER WHO WILL RUN AWAY IF WE ARE IN THE FRONT YARD!!!! I am so tired of having to defend all of my actions all the time. I'm sorry that I can't be in an area that isn't fenced in because Katie will be in danger. I give Mary a lot of freedom out of necessity. I always know where she is and she is very good at asking permission to go and do things. I guess that I shouldn't be that upset, and that I just need to let it go..but I'm just upset that the neighborhood knows more about what my daughter did than I do. I'm glad that Mary told me what had happened before I heard about it at the scrapbook store. That was my Friday night. I'm off this weekend -- I need it!

3 comments:

Fred said...

We parents sometimes set bad examples for our children. The best course of action would be to talk directly to you, as you said.

I hope your weekend has been a good one. Too bad it's almost over.

Mindy said...

Hey, WHATEVER! I can't see Mary starting anything by herself. I can see her going along with something. You are a wonderful mother and don't worry about what other people say or think. They have not walked in your shoes. Love ya and will keep you in my prayers!

keesh said...

Well parents can be brutal, Believe me I know. I had one tell me that "to the outside world it doesn't look like I discipline my son." Boy did I go off about that one. the only sound advise I have for you is to talk to the Mother about this. It is the only way you will get passed it.