Thursday, March 27, 2008

Risperdal...??? Hmmmm...

RISPERDAL...

Well, things aren't going very well with Katie's new meds. She is having all kinds of side effects. That is the problem with using meds to help with autism -- they often cause so many side effects that the results are worse than the original problem. Katie is having a huge appetite increase, greatly increased sensitivity to light, and terrible constipation. Lovely ;). Poor thing. It is so hard to help her. The Doctor's office has told us that this is basically "the price you have to pay" to have the meds help her -- the only trouble is we aren't doing very well finding the right dose to actually help her without having her be "stoned". The whole first week she was on the med she looked like she was just wasted out on drugs....and now with the reduced dose she just has a lot of side effects and not much improvement. It's very frustrating. I wish I knew other moms who had tried risperdal with their autistic children....the choices we have to make to help our kids can often be very difficult -- and when your kids have autism - it's even more difficult.

1 comment:

Alysa said...

Jill,
My heart aches for you. I cannot even begin to imagine the difficulty, as a mother, that you face in wanting the best for your child but feeling at a loss for how to help (how much of which meds, etc.). I was at the gym this morning and saw that CNN is going to have a show on autism on Sunday and I thought of you. I have added you to my prayers, for wisdom and endurance in this long journey for you and Katie.
Lovingly, Alysa