Monday, April 07, 2008

Broken Glass, More Meds and a Movie

I gave my post this specific title so I wouldn't forget what I wanted to blog about today. Lots has happened. Spring Break is busy.
My morning started off with a "crash" so to speak. I asked Mary to keep a perverbial eye on Katie so I could grab a shower. I hadn't quite made it to the shower yet as I made a quick stop to my facebook page - and I heard a crash that compares to what I imagine it would sound like if you hit a baseball through a pane glass window. Katie has a special connection to a large glass pitcher that I own (well, I did own it...) It is a very heavy gold colored glass - from the 70's. A great pitcher for ice tea, etc. It's beveled glass and as I said, very heavy. Well apparently, the OCD in Katie took over and she wanted to hear the sound of breaking glass.(Unfortunately this happens a lot). She threw the pitcher from the top of the steps to where it landed on the hard tile floor in our entryway and proceeded to smash into oblivion. Mary yells up (as if I didn't hear the crash) "I know I'm supposed to be watching her, but you need to get down here NOW!) Good thing I hadn't made it into the shower yet. After a time out (for Katie - but I could have used one too) and 20 minutes of cleaning up glass, I was finally able to get my shower.
We started daytime meds on Katie today too - which you wouldn't guess from the breaking glass episode - but it really did make her calmer the rest of the day. My concern as always is that she is too calm - so we are watching her carefully over Spring Break to make sure that we aren't seeing the "zombie" effect.
Then tonight I was able to take Mary to see "Nim's Island". Great movie for moms and girls ages 7 and up. Mary was slightly freaked out by the sharks (you could only see their fins - but that was enough to have her practically lying in my lap.) It's PG - no swearing, sex or any other noticable issues. It probably could have received what I call a G7 rating which is a G movie if your child is over 7 ( I use 7 b/c that is Mary's age - I know - I'm nuts.)
Well - enough for now...more on the meds later.

No comments: