Thursday, November 03, 2005

Anyone care to guess what today is? November 3rd and we are now 3 days out of compliance on Katie's IEP. I am starting to lose my grip on this one. Bill and I have decided to file a formal complaint against the school district for being out of compliance with the IEP. I really didn't want to have to go down this road, but unfortunately we feel like we have no other options left. I was able to speak with a wonderful parent who is also in my school district - who has two autistic children ( I can't even imagine) and who encouraged me to continue to be Katie's best advocate by pursuing this further with a formal complaint. She feels, as do I, that by filing a formal complaint, they will quickly resolve the situation by posting the aide position, so that they will again be in compliance with Katie's IEP. I called the special ed supt. again today, and again received no return phone call --- so this is where we are.

On a lighter note, Katie said "Please" today when they asked her if they could button up her OT vest (a weighted vest that she often wears during therapy). How exciting. It is great to finally see her use purposeful speech at the age of 3.

I don't have to work today, and I actually caught a nap this afternoon while Katie was napping --so from that aspect it has been a great day.

No comments: