Thursday, May 08, 2008

Addicted to the Dollar Store

Okay, I am now admitting it. I think I am addicted to the Dollar Store. (and to the Dollar Spot at Target - but that is a whole different post.) As the economy plummets and gas prices soar, I have found myself increasingly visiting the various dollar stores that are in our area. Because I work 20 miles from our house I have about 5 or more stores that are between here and there...so there are lots of good shopping opportunities when I have the time. I was actually amazed today while I was perusing the dollar store that is perhaps my favorite of the 5 I have to choose from. It is the biggest and even has a refrigerated section - which is really amazing if you think about it. I refuse to by toys from the dollar store unless my kids are with me -- in which case I usually let them each have one toy to keep them from screaming -- but dollar store toys usually break before we even get home, so there is really no point.

However, as a mom, there are lots of good buys to be found at the neighborhood dollar store. Today I bought: toilet bowl cleaner (same brand that I buy at Meijer) - plastic sandwich baggies - and shampoo (also the same brand that I buy at Meijer). I could have bought more, but it was really busy in there and I wasn't really in the mood. They also have AMAZING scrapbooking supplies at the cheapest prices in town (hello, everything is 1 Dollar.) My neighbor got me hooked on their self adhesive tabs which come in disposable (although not earth-friendly) dispensers that don't have to be refilled, and only cost 1 dollar. The refills for my vario dispenser run me about 7 dollars for about the same number of tabs. To me that is a no -brainer. They also have packages of 6 to 8 color-coordinated 12x12 papers that are simply amazing - for 1 Dollar. Once again, why wouldn't you buy this if you are an avid scrapbooker. I'm sorry, but I don't know how people afford not to shop at the dollar store. The best part is - if you buy something and you don't like it or it doesn't work out - it was only 1 Dollar!

No comments: