Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Tuesday, Tuesday.... Gas is 3.99


Well, it's Tuesday. Therapy day for Katie --and it was a hard one this morning. Because Katie is now learning to speak words through imitation, she is struggling to find the words for herself when she doesn't hear the word to repeat. She and I were both crying this morning. Katie out of frustration - and me, because I would trade places with her in a heartbeat if I could. It is hard to watch your child so trapped in themself. But that is the evil-ness of autism. Watching your child caught within themselves with no easy way out. The blessing is that Katie has a phenomenal speech therapist who is truly gifted and has a fabulous connection with Katie... this is an older picture of Ruth (the therapist) and Katie. (This was taken about 5 months ago...just before Katie started to connect a little more with being photographed -- so we weren't able to get a good shot of her looking at the camera.)

As you can see by the title of this post, my other big news is that gas here has now crested the 3.99 mark. I never dreamed that in my lifetime (or at least in my 30's) we would see gas at this price. I was talking with a friend of mine this morning -- and we were talking about how we don't know how anyone (including ourselves) can absorb the increased gas prices as well as the resulting increased grocery prices, utility charges, etc. I remember a little over a year ago that gas here was actually 1.99 for a few weeks. (Yes, that is the bonus of living in rural Michigan). I don't anticipate gas under 3.00 a gallon ever again. I guess we'll be doing a lot of walking this summer. :) What does gas cost where you live? And how are you compensating for the increased costs? We are definitely trying to drive less...and I am hoping to alter my work schedule so that I am not driving 20 miles each way more that 2 or 3 days a week. There comes a point where (when you are working short shifts especially) it isn't profitable to go to work. And that is a sad point that this nation is coming t0. What happens when people can't afford to work?

2 comments:

Fred said...

We have a student at school that has autism and I can sometimes see the fight within becasue she often can't think through an issue that she is confronted with.

It's as though she fully understands the issue on the front end, but can't get to the solution. That would frustrate all of us if it happened often.

I'm glad she has such a gifted speech therapist.

Gas here in Tampa is $3.59.

Jill said...

Fred - that is a perfect description of it... katie knows what she wants to say in her head, but she can't make her voice say the word. I can't imagine feeling like that all the time....

And I hate to say it, but I am actually jealous of your gas price.. :) The news here is saying that with Memorial Day approaching we will be over 4.00 easily before the holiday. Ugh!